Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Thing 9: Databases & Search Tools

This topic could not have come at a better time! Right now I am working with my 4th and 5th graders on databases- how to use them, why they are important, and which ones are the best to use! I love that while I am teaching my students about databases I am also learning about new ones that I have never used before.

In my district we have some AMAZING databases that we use in our schools and I know that I am extremely grateful that I have access to that information. I have been using in my library Pebble GO, World Book, and Scholastic GO! for the most part with my students so you can only imagine how excited I was to see the list that was compiled for this topic. I have also used NOVEL NY and I like some of the features it has to offer but I don't really use it as much with my students- it is something I share with the teachers.

I have never tried Sweet Search before and I may not have if it weren't for this blog. It sounds like this is a great database however I was not able to explore it. Each time I clicked on the link I was told something was wrong and they were having technical difficulties. I will have to make a mental note to remember to check back and explore the site at another time. Anything that librarians and teachers have used and approved is fine by me!

DuckDuckGo has to be my new favorite search engine! I can honestly say I LOVE it and I cannot wait to share with my fellow teachers and colleagues. I cannot tell you how many times I search for something and a million different ads pop up even if it something I am not interested in. I may be searching for a baby shower present but I do not have kids yet so ads for diapers and burpies is something I don't really need to see.

I took some time reading as many of the articles as I could but the one that I really connected with was "Do Your Students Know How to Search"? As a library teacher I am teaching my students how to use the Internet and safe searching strategies but while reading this article I really questioned wither or not I was teaching them how to do it because I assumed they had to have known. I would love to share this article with my students because it gives some great ideas.

Loved KidRex! The pictures when you first go to the site are very kid friendly and would for sure be a great search engine to use with the younger guys. I love that it was really geared toward kids.

There is so much information out on the Internet and whatever I can do or use to make it easier to find good reliable information I am a fan of. I love learning about new databases or search engines that I can use, especially when they are of no cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment